In this article, we will cover the basics of using vRx Network Scanner.
Preparing Your Environment.
vRx network scanner rely on the NMAP Utility, an open source network scanner utilized by security officers all around the world.
Before starting analyze your environment, Follow these steps to prepare your environment for scanning:
- Navigate to the "Network Scanner" section (available on your left side of the dashboard). At the bottom, select the NMAP download link suitable for your OS flavor.
- Download and install NMAP on your computer.
- From Vicarius Nmap Vulnerability Script second link, download the "vicarius-vulnerability-scan.nse" and "cve.zip" files.
- Copy the "vicarius-vulnerability-scan.nse" file to nmap "scripts" folder (for example, windows default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap\scripts\vicarius-vulnerability-scan.nse).
- Under the "scripts" folder, create a new folder named "vicarius-vulnerability-scan". (for example, windows default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap\scripts\vicarius-vulnerability-scan\).
- Unzip the "cve.zip" file and copy it's content to "\scripts\vicarius-vulnerability-scan\" folder ((for example, windows default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap\scripts\vicarius-vulnerability-scan\cve.csv).
Tip: The "cve.zip" file is updated monthly. It is recommend to check for new file version every month to have the most up-to-date results.
You are now ready to run your network scans.
Generating Scan Script
To start analyzing your environment, Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the "Network Scanner" section (available on your left side of the dashboard). At the top right, press on the "Generate NMAP Script" button.
- Configure the following parameters:
Your Scan Name - this will be the name of the output file.
Addresses Scan Range - Select a single IP, IP range, Subnet and more from the drop menu.
Note - Selecting to scan an entire subnet with many machines might significant time and network resources (Nmap limitations). We recommend dividing the scan to smaller bits for better performance.
(Optional) Exclude Addresses - You can skip specific addresses from being scan, if needed.
Click on the Copy button to copy your script.
- At your scanning station, open an CMD (or terminal), navigate to nmap installation folder, paste your command and execute the script.
- Once the nmap execution is completed, locate the XML output file under the nmap folder. The file name will be the name you configured on section 2. in our example: MyServersScan.xml
- Upload the XML file to the dashboard by clicking on the "Import XML File" button. An Analyze task will be initiated on the xml file.
- Once the task is finished, hover over the task and select "Explore" to view the scan results.
Tip: Next versions of vRx's Network Scanner will include automation for the scanning process and much more. Stay tuned!